International Medical Physics Certification Board
The International Medical Physics Certification Board (IMPCB) was formed on May 23rd 2010 by eleven Charter Member Organizations in medical physics. The objectives and purposes.
- To support the practice of medical physics through a certification program in accordance with IOMP guidelines;
- To establish the infrastructure, requirements and assessment procedures for the accreditation of medical physics certification programs in accordance with the requirements of IOMP guidelines;
- To establish the infrastructure, requirements and examination procedures for the certification of medical physicists in accordance with the requirements of IOMP guidelines;
- To provide guidance and support to medical physics organizations for the establishment of national medical physics certification boards and to conduct board examinations for medical physicists in countries which have not yet established certification boards;
- To grant and issue certificates in the field of medical physics to applicants who have been found qualified by the Board;
- To maintain a registry of holders of such certificates, which can be accessed online free-of-charge by the IOMP, and to serve the public by preparing and furnishing lists of medical physicists who have been certified by the Board; and
- To establish that continuing education and professional development are required for certified medical physicists.
- Towards the objectives, IMPCB has started to build models to develop national certification programs, has established requirements for successful completion of the certification process, and is working on collaborations with IOMP and IAEA.
- At the IOMP Council meeting during the World Congress 2015 in Toronto, the IOMP-IMPCB Memorandum of Understanding on Professional Certification of Medical Physicists was adopted. Click here for the document.